Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holiday Decorating Part 2: Department 56 Houses

Growing up for most of my life in Southern California, land of the freeway, I was not often exposed to the "small-town, Main Street" feel.  But I am always drawn to the scenes of lit shops and restaurants lining a street with people walking around taking it all in.  With Christmas being my favorite time of year, I especially love this with snow on the ground, decorations in the window and a tree in the square.


Many years ago, my mother and I found a way to make this part of our holiday decorating with lit holiday houses from Department 56.  We chose the Dickens Village for our collection and it was always my job to "put up the houses."  I loved creating not only the scene but the story that went along with all our our buildings. 


The company now has many village themes and houses to choose from to make your own holiday memories.




Christmas in the City


Potters Tea Seller


Cathedral Church of St. Mark


Engine Company 10


Grand Central Railway Station


Haberdashery


Dickens Christmas Carol


Sir John Falstaff Inn


Ashbury Inn


London Gin Distillery


Nephew Fred's Flat


Scrooge & Marley Counting House


The Original Snow Village


SVPD Precinct 76


Chick-fil-A


Christmas Cove Lighthouse


Jingle Belle Houseboat


Our Lady of Grace Church


Santa's Wonderland House


And my new favorite, Williamsburg.  This is the village I hope to start for my own decorations.


Tarpley's Store


Barton Parish Church


Kings Arms Tavern


R. Charleton's Coffeehouse


Taliaferro-Cole House


Until Tomorrow. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment