Monday, July 2, 2012

Newport, RI and the America's Cup World Series


This weekend I decided to take a day trip up to Newport, RI to explore the area and watch the America’s Cup World Series sailing races.  I had never been to Newport or seen a live sailing race so I was very excited for my adventure.  Growing up in California, my frame of reference for “Newport” was always Newport Beach.  But after visiting, I can see why California wanted a “Newport” of their own.  “The Original Newport” could not have been nicer!  

Trinity Church

It was a gorgeous day and after finding parking, I walked along Thames Street down to Bannister’s Wharf where I had a very nice {though hot} outdoor lunch at The Black Pearl.



There were a lot of people out enjoying the beautiful day.



After lunch I drove over to Fort Adams to watch the America’s Cup sailboat racing.  



There were a ton of people watching and it was a little difficult to get a good view of the boats, but the event was still VERY exciting. 



I was surprised with how much I got into the races!  It was pretty cool to see the sailors moving back and forth on the boats and realize just how fast they were going. 

Luna Rossa

Team Korea

Team Artemis


Oracle Team USA {below with Jimmy Spithill at the helm} won the time trial I watched by quite a margin. 


It was a great day at the races!  I may have to head out to San Francisco next year to see the actual America's Cup races.

There were also quite a few sponsors on the grounds including Lexus, Puma & Fidelity.  I however found my way into the Moet tent.  Not a bad way to take a few minutes and cool off.



I was able to get a few pictures of the action, but for another detailed account, please head over to one of my favorite blogs: The Daily Prep written by Muffy Aldrich.  She has a wonderful account of her day at the races.

Link
{She writes about her travels throughout the Northeast and New England.  I love her posts and have gotten a few day trip ideas from the beautiful pictures on her blog.  A definite must read!}
Every time I visit a new place like this one, and experience something new, my love for New England grows.  It makes me realize how lucky I am to have been able to live on and experience both coasts.  Their similarities and differences only highlight how great they both are.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment